Winter walking 2016/17 is only a dream!

The healing process looks set to be extended!

Those of you who follow me on twitter, or have read my previous blog Unplanned walking interlude, which gave an insight in to why things have gone so quiet here, it appears things have not gone quite to plan.


Before I go any further, this is not a request for sympathy. Sympathy is not progressive, merely comforting a situation. Progression will be me making strides to get on my feet again, which I am doing, albeit a very slow process, with the support of the hospital, family and those around me, and trust me; I intend to make the mark.

DVT stocking, to squeeze the oedema out of my leg and hopefully reduce the swelling to a more acceptable, or preferably, normal level.
 

Two views showing the compression garment designed to reduce the swelling
 

 
A recent hospital visit to the orthopaedics clinic, which involved X-Rays, gave cause for concern to the surgeons who rebuilt my leg back in February, in that the bone has stopped growing!
 
The latest hospital visit has reinforced that concern, still no further bone growth!

This was very a devastating blow and it took me a couple of days to come to terms with it!
 
It can be very hard to appreciate the substantial nature of my injuries in the first place, which really meant my leg had to be practically rebuilt and at one point, they were considering amputation!
 
I do recall signing the consent form for amputation before that rather major operation, that lasted thirteen hours, and seriously, I expected to wake up minus my lower right leg.
 
It’s fantastic that we have a health service that works extremely hard to save limbs where they can, battling against some extremely tough odds.
 
The marvels of modern medicine, and skills of the surgical teams involved, along with the support from the nurses, doctors, physio’s and others too numerous to mention, but not forgetting the paramedics who scooped and cleaned me up in the first place, is vastly underrated in my opinion.
 
I digress, but before I return to what I want to share with you, in years to come, hopefully this type of surgery will become a lot easier and reduce the need for limb amputation.
 
Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, they surgical teams had great concern that the bone growth has stopped, so this means for me, further surgery.
 
The surgery will involve taking bone from my hip and grafting it on to the bones breaks where there is no bone growth. This will hopefully to induce bone growth. Only time will tell.

I stand six foot tall!
Yes, this was winter walking in England!
I was hoping to start light winter walking for the winter of 2016/17, but that will now be just a dream unlikely to come true, because the frame on my leg will now be in place until at least autumn 2016, and then there will be the gradual build-up of fitness from there, assuming all goes to plan from there!
 
In fact walking of any description back in my favourite haunts are all going to be a dream for the time being. But, for winter walking, I need to be confident that the metal pins which will stay in my bones once the frame has been removed, will not give me undue pain and discomfort while out in the cold.
 
Also, because my leg seems to be permanently swollen, I may need to review what trousers I can comfortably wear, and will my boots still fit my currently swollen right foot!
 
I was hoping that the healing process would be between 18 – 24 months, but now it looks like being 24 – 30 months, at least!
 
It could be that walks like AxeEdge Moor Winter Walk and I’m a BIG kid at heart and KinderLow and Kinder Downfall, a Winter Wonderland will just be memories, but what fabulous memories they are.
 
Axe Edge Moor

Kinder Low
 
However, the smaller walks like my favourite haunt Stanton Moor should be safely within my grasp, and I can share winter stories like Stanton Moor on a snowy Sunday or even night hikes like Stanton Moor Night Hike, and a drink in the Druid Inn.
 
Stanton Moor on a snowy Sunday

Stanton Moor night hike
 
Let us not forget, there are those who are far worse off than myself. Many of our troops have far worse injuries and manage to progress, there's the poor 17 year old lass who had to have her leg amputated as a result of the accident at Alton Towers.
 
She, along with many of the others mentioned, haven't had the pleasure of chasing their own children through a park, kicking a football with them and never will in quite the same way, along with much more.
 
I've had that opportunity, and they're moments I will treasure.
 
What I can say is, Peak Rambler’s Ramblings will eventually continue, whatever my final walking condition will be. I will be back out there, hopefully enjoying what I did beforehand, but if not, then tailored to my abilities once the healing process has completed, because I don’t really want to become a Mountain Rescue statistic.
 
I would like to reiterate my thanks to all who have supported me through these very dark days being cooped up and the sharing of your photos and experiences have been a great pick-me-up.
 
I’m also extremely grateful to the surgical teams, physios, nursing and other teams for the skills and care they have administered. They really have, and still are, being absolutely brilliant.
 
Of course, I can’t forget my family, who have also had to endure looking after me, because the frame has restricted my ability to get trousers on, my son, who has had to be my chauffeur. Without any of you, this would have been a lot harder to endure.
 
Finally, happy rambling and thank you for reading,
Peak Rambler

Twitter           @PeakRambler
Photo Album Peak Rambler Flickr Photo Album
YouTube       Peak Rambler on YouTube

Links to some of the items I’ve mentioned and written about here:
AxeEdge Moor Winter Walk and I’m a BIG kid at heart
KinderLow and Kinder Downfall, a Winter Wonderland
Stanton Moor on a snowy Sunday
Stanton Moor Night Hike, and a drink in the Druid Inn

3 comments:

  1. Well, that's a bit of a set back, but as you point out you are still very lucky to have the leg and to have had all those moments already that some people will never have, like running after the children in the park. I hope the next operation is successful... better it takes another year to recover than doesn't recover at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. The road it happened on is usually busy 24/7, so things could have been a lot different, I could have ended up in a body bag!
      Soul destroying it is, but I'm grateful for what I have.

      Delete